Most people are familiar with the body’s vessel system that carries blood to and from the tissues, but few understand that there is another equally vital system of vessels that removes cell wastes, proteins, excess fluid, viruses and bacteria. Made up of lymphatic vessels and nodes, the lymph system picks up fluids and waste products from the space between the cells and then filters and cleanses them. It’s primary job is to move immune cells and dead cellular debris through the body to where it can be removed or reused. A poorly functioning and congested lymphatic system can lead to serious illnesses and chronic diseases which stem from a weakened immune system. In those situations, our bodies are more at risk to develop cancer, blood pressure and heart diseases.
A clog in your lymphatic “drains” can lead to the accumulation of toxins which the body initially tries to remove. Perhaps symptoms of body rigidity, headaches, bloating, skin concerns, and cold extremities are actually a result of a sluggish lymphatic system that needs improving.
The lymphatic system is also responsible for removing other toxins from the body. Lymphatic fluid picks up toxins such as food additives and preservatives and filters them out for removal from the body.
Having a healthy lymph system is vitally important to your wellbeing. Lymphatic drainage is a treatment designed specifically to help maintain a well flowing lymphatic system that protects your health and immunity.
What is a Lymphatic Drainage?
Lymphatic drainage is a gentle, rhythmical massage treatment performed by a specially trained massage therapist to stimulate the circulation of lymph fluid around the body. This helps to rapidly speed up the removal of wastes and toxins from a sluggish lymphatic system. Lymphatic massage can also aids in the prevention of swelling after injury or surgery. It is also thought to provide a major boost to your immune system and relieve symptoms of chronic fatigue and pain.
Lymphatic Drainage is highly recommended for those particular conditions:
- Swollen legs or arms due to fluid retention
- Swelling of a limb: pre or post-surgery
- Lymphoedema & oedema
- Post-mastectomy or breast cancer treatment
- Breast tenderness & congestion
- Fibromyalgia & Lupus
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Depression & Anxiety
- Hormonal & emotional imbalances
- Cellulite fat accumulation and weight gain
- Recurrent infections such as colds, flu, tonsillitis, sinus & yeast infections
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Sports injuries (e.g. bruises, sprains and even fractures (in acute stage) where remedial massage is not indicated)
What results can you expect from a Lymphatic drainage?
The primary result from manual Lymphatic Drainage is an increase in the lymph flow, which can reduce swelling and oedema. A full body lymphatic drainage treatment can increase the flow of lymph through the heart from two litres per day to over 25 litres per day! Depending on the condition you are seeking treatment for, other benefits generally include:
- Pain reduction (by sedation of the sensory nerve endings)
- Reduction in healing time post-surgery or post-injury. (Manual lymphatic drainage is gentle enough to be used immediately after surgery or injury).